12 Practical Ways for Kidney Patients to Prevent Infections
Kidney disease has a tendency to relapse. Infection is not only one of the causes of relapse, but also the biggest cause of acute renal failure. How to prevent infections for kidney patients? Here are 12 practical ways.
1. Room and living room can be disinfected by ultraviolet light once a day in the morning and evening. When the number of indoor visitors increases, the number of disinfection times by ultraviolet irradiation can be increased.
2. The toilet can be wiped and disinfected with 500 mg/L chlorine-containing disinfectant, while paying attention to ventilation and ventilation to ensure air quality.
3. When clothes and bedding are not worn, they are exposed to the sun, which can kill many germs.
4. During the period of influenza, kidney patients need to wear masks when they go out.
5. It is suggested that kidney patients should try not to approach pets such as pigeons, cats and dogs, which will increase the probability of infection. Some bacteria are not pathogenic to animals, but may make people sick. Considering that some patients love pets very much, they are advised to stay away, which is not strictly forbidden.
6. Kidney patients whose 24-hour urinary protein level is less than 2 g are given aerobic exercise for at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day.
7. Oral care
Diseases from the mouth not only refer to food, but also bacteria in the mouth. 86% of Chinese suffer from different degrees of periodontal disease. Many patients whose urinary protein can not be alleviated or relapse repeatedly have their urinary protein alleviated and the recurrence rate decreased after discovering and treating periodontal disease.
Brush your teeth twice a day, wash your teeth once a year from half a year. Gargle regularly with a mouthwash that inhibits bacteria and fungi every day. This is especially important for kidney patients who are taking steroids and immunosuppressants.
8. Unless contraindicated, it is recommended that all adult patients with Chronic Kidney Disease be vaccinated with influenza every year. It is suggested that patients with Nephrotic Syndrome, Diabetic Nephropathy, Kidney Failure with serum creatinine above 442, uremia, and kidney disease with steroids and immunosuppressive agents should receive multivalent pneumococcal vaccine.
9. Systemic supportive therapy can significantly improve the immunity of patients. For example, a small amount of fresh blood transfusion, blood plasma transfusion, albumin transfusion, and intravenous immunoglobulin transfusion, we need to grasp the indications.
10. Use and Selection of Antibiotics
Our patients often have a cold. They like to use antibiotics. I've met viral cold patients who force doctors to prescribe antibiotics. Abuse and misuse of antibiotics are not only harmful to current infections and kidney safety, but also a hidden danger to future infections.
The correct way is: antibiotics need to be suspended until the results of bacterial tests come out. If it is a bacterial infection, after culture and drug sensitivity results, select broad-spectrum antibiotics.
11. Appropriate use of immunomodulators (immunopotentiators)
Immunomodulator can improve lymphocyte function and effectively prevent infection. It includes cytokines, biological products, plant drugs, chemical agents, micronutrients and so on.
For example, levamisole 2 mg/kg, twice a week; transfer factor intramuscular injection 1 unit, 1-2 times a week; subcutaneous injection of 3 mg immunoribonucleic acid; gamma globulin 0.2-0.4 ml/kg, once a month, and so on.
However, the indications of most immunopotentiators are so vague that many doctors do not know how to use them. It is recommended that patients seek professional nephrologists to avoid misuse.
12. Monitoring lymphocyte
Hormones and immunosuppressants can reduce immunity, so kidney patients should pay attention to monitoring the changes of two indicators: 1. Peripheral blood lymphocyte. 2. Total number of CD4 + T lymphocytes.
When the lymphocyte count < 600/μl or (and) CD4+T lymphocyte count < 200/μl, compound sulfamethoxazole tablets can be used to prevent Pneumocystis carinii infection.
In short, anti-infection is a technical activity involving many aspects. Kidney patients should communicate with nephrologists to prevent infection. For more information on CKD treatment, please leave a message below or contact online doctor.
***Please seek professional medical advise for the diagnosis or treatment of any ailment, disease or medical condition. This article is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a licensed medical professional.***