About Hemodialysis Adequacy
Hemodialysis is a commonly used treatment for Kidney Failure patients to maintain life. But do you know hemodialysis adequacy? It is of great significance to improve the quality of life and prolong the survival rate time of Dialysis patients. Now go on reading to learn more information.
1. What is hemodialysis adequacy?
Generally speaking, hemodialysis adequacy refers to the condition that the patient can effectively remove the uremic toxin and excess water (to achieve dry weight) in a relatively short period of time on the premise of high protein intake, fully correct the acid-base and electrolyte imbalance, and make the patient feel comfortable and satisfied after dialysis. Adequate dialysis should maximize the quality of life of patients and reduce complications so that patients can not only take care of themselves, but also engage in daily work and social activities to achieve the degree of psychological rehabilitation and social return.
2. What are the clinical criteria for adequate hemodialysis?
(1) The patient's general condition and nutritional status are good. And they recover physical power, and have ability of life, work, and social contact.
(2) Blood pressure is well controlled, generally less than 140/90 mmHg;
(3) After dialysis, the patients reach dry weight without obvious water load.
(4) There is no obvious acidosis and hyperkalemia, TCO2 ≥ 22 mmol/L after hemodialysis and blood potassium < 6.0 mmol/L) before hemodialysis.
(5) Anemia can be tolerated; hemoglobin ≥ 110g/L;
(6) Good nutrition, serum albumin ≥ 35g/L;
(7) There is no obvious disturbance of calcium and phosphorus metabolism.
(8) There is no obvious uremic peripheral neuropathy and central nervous system disorder.
3. How to achieve adequate dialysis?
To achieve adequate dialysis, the following conditions must be met:
(1) To ensure adequate dialysis time, about 10 to 12 hours a week.
(2) To use better dialyzer.
(3) To ensure adequate blood flow and dialysate flow during hemodialysis.
(4) Besides dialysis, you can try some other treatments to help cleanse waste products and extra fluid from the blood. In our center, systemic Chinese medicine treatment is often used. For example, Medicated Bath, Foot Bath, Enema Therapy, Steam Therapy and so on are often used together to eliminate excess substances from the blood via urine, sweating and bowel movement. They can also increase blood flow into kidneys and improve blood circulation to provide the damaged kidneys with enough essential elements such as oxygen, nutrients and active ingredients of medicine to speed up kidney recovery. Moreover, they can restore the balance of anti-inflammatory cytokines and pro-inflammatory cytokines to reduce renal inflammation and protect the residual renal function. After about one week’s treatment, your urine will become smelly and cloudy due to the existence of wastes. After about half month’s treatment, high creatinine, urea and uric acid level will be reduced. After about one month’s treatment, your kidney disease will be under control, and renal function may be improved.
For more information on hemodialysis adequacy, please leave a message below or contact online doctor.
***Please seek professional medical advise for the diagnosis or treatment of any ailment, disease or medical condition. This article is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a licensed medical professional.***