What is Nephrotic Syndrome?
Nephrotic syndrome is not a specific kidney disease, but a group of symptoms, including massive proteinuria, heavy swelling, hypoproteinemia and hyperlipidemia.
Why do you get Nephrotic Syndrome?
The root cause of Nephrotic Syndrome is the accumulation of excess substances in the body that causes inflammatory reaction in kidneys. These excess substances include hyperlipidemia, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, various extrinsic antigens, drug residues, heavy metals, etc. That is to say, the excess nutrients that people ingest in the daily diet and the harmful substances that are not excreted in the body, together constitute the pathogenic factor of Nephrotic Syndrome.
Why is Nephrotic Syndrome long-lasting?
Conventional treatment is only to use steroids or immunosuppressants to suppress renal inflammation and reduce proteinuria rather than clear away those excess substances. The accumulation of excess nutrients and harmful substances in the body not only seriously reduce the effect of medication, but also trigger chronic renal inflammation and cause kidney problems. That is why Nephrotic Syndrome can not get a permanent control.
How do we treat Nephrotic Syndrome?
In our hospital, we usually use Chinese medicine detoxification therapy to improve internal environment so as to make it well for kidney self-healing and other medication application. It mainly has three functions.
1. To dissolve toxins: dissolve toxins by tonifying Qi and clearing heat.Here Toxins dissolved are mainly heat toxins.The main method is to balance anti-inflammation and induce-inflammation of cells through clearing heat. The essence is to relieve the inflammatory state of the kidney inherent cells by removing heat toxins, to dissolve the toxins inside and outside cells, and to control the development of the disease.
2. To dispel toxins: dispel toxins by reinforcing kidney and activating blood. Here toxins dispelled are mainly stasis toxins and wind toxins. The main method is to restore cells’ normal metabolism function, correct the dysfunction of renal inherent cells and remove the old and new toxins inside and outside cells through improving blood circulation and dispelling wind，so as to eradicate protein, occult blood and edema.
3. To discharge toxins: discharge toxins by promoting Qi circulation and removing obstruction in the collaterals. Here toxins discharged is mainly damp toxins. The main method is to clear detoxification channel of renal inherent cells through dredging the channel and meridian, making the toxins discharged from the cells into the tissue fluid, from tissue fluid into the blood, and then out of the body through sweat, urine and bowel movement, to prevent relapse in the future.
To what extend can we treat Nephrotic Syndrome?
1. To make proteinuria turn to negative
There are many causes of urinary protein, some are damage to the mechanical barrier of glomerular capillary loop, some are damage to the charge barrier. Traditional Chinese medicine can stop the barrier from being damaged and promote the repair of vascular wall so as to achieve the purpose of lowering proteinuria.
Astragalus, angelica sinensis, dandelion, fructus forsythia and other traditional Chinese medicines can improve the body's ability to remove antigens, reduce and repair the damage of the basement membrane, improve renal blood flow, and gradually repair the glomeruli.
Both traditional Chinese medicine and western medicine can reduce urinary protein, and the following three effects are unique to traditional Chinese medicine.
2. To improve renal function
Nephrotic syndrome has a high risk of renal failure due to high urinary protein. Kidney function decline is mainly due to poor blood supply to the kidney, glomerular and renal tubulointerstitial sclerosis and fibrosis, resulting in kidney loss of function.
Traditional Chinese medicines for promoting blood circulation, such as safflower and chuanxiong, can relax the smooth muscle of kidney blood vessels, relieve vasospasm and improve the blood flow of kidney. Honeysuckle can inhibit immune complex and renal fibrosis. Atractylodes and Chinese yam can strengthen the resistance and repair the renal epithelial tissue.
3. To reduce the side effects of western medicine
Western medicine such as steroids and immunosuppressants can help relieve renal inflammation and reduce proteinuria, but they can decrease your immunity, increase your risk of infections, damage your stomach and bones, etc.
Traditional Chinese medicine of invigorating spleen and kidney and warming kidney and Yang can eliminate the toxic and side effects of hormone and immunosuppressant, regulate immune function and reduce the side effects of western medicine.
4. To improve the sensitivity to steroids
Only about 40% Nephrotic Syndrome patients are sensitive to steroids. Even though immunosuppressants are used together, many patients can not get a good effect.
At this time, we need TCM syndrome differentiation and disease differentiation together to deal with it. After the reasonable use of traditional Chinese medicine treatment, many steroid-resistant Nephrotic Syndrome patients become steroid-sensitive, and the condition has been partially relieved or completely relieved.
What precautions should be taken on Nephrotic Syndrome?
1. Do not stop or reduce medications without the instruction of doctors, because it can make your condition worse.
2. Pay attention to your diet. A proper diet can help you fight against the disease and reduce the relapse. A low salt and protein diet is recommended.
3. To take part in some exercises to strengthen your physical condition. And avoid strenuous activities.
4. To protect yourself from catching a cold, which is a common cause of relapse.
5. To stop drinking and smoking. Do not stay up.
***Please seek professional medical advise for the diagnosis or treatment of any ailment, disease or medical condition. This article is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a licensed medical professional.***