Eight Treatment Methods for PKD
At present, there is no specific treatment for Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD), but the following measures can delay the progression and deterioration of renal function. Now go on reading to learn more information.
1. Reduce the intake of stimulating food and strenuous exercise
Stimulating food such as coffee, strong tea, chocolate can promote the proliferation of cyst cells; strenuous exercise may lead to cyst rupture. Therefore, you should avoid them.
2. Food restriction
With food restriction, cysts grow slowly, and renal function deteriorates slowly. The effect is obvious. We have found many patients with PKD who are thin and eat less have long-term stable renal function.
3. Rational use of ARBs or ACEI antihypertensive drugs
Patients with hypertension can choose ACEI or ARBs antihypertensive drugs, such as lisinopril, telmisartan, losartan potassium, olmesartan, valsartan amlodipine and so on. It is better to reduce blood pressure to less than 130/80. ACEI or ARBs antihypertensive drugs can not only reduce blood pressure and prevent cerebral hemorrhage (PKD patients are often combined with cerebrovascular malformation, and prone to cerebrovascular accident), but also delay the deterioration of renal function (when serum creatinine is more than 300 umol/L, you should be cautious with ACEI or ARBs antihypertensive drugs).
4. Rational use of metformin
Metformin can be used in patients with diabetes or obesity, which can not only reduce blood sugar and weight, but also protect the kidney. Metformin is an activator of AMPK. Activation of AMPK can inhibit the secretion of cystic fluid and also antagonize mTOR to inhibit the proliferation of cystic cells.
5. Rational use of statins
Statins such as pravastatin can not only inhibit cholesterol synthesis and reduce blood lipid, but also slow the growth of renal cysts in children and adolescents, reduce the decline rate of renal function, and also inhibit inflammation and endothelial cell injury. The use of pravastatin and other statin lipid-lowering drugs in PKD patients with hyperlipidemia can play a double role.
6. Rational application of Tripterygium wilfordii polyglycoside tablets
After mutation of PKD1/PKD2 gene, intracellular calcium aggregation was significantly reduced, which resulted in a series of downstream cyst-promoting effects by promoting intracellular aggregation of cAMP. Tripterygium wilfordii can restore calcium channel, induce calcium release, inhibit cell proliferation and delay the formation and development of cysts. Clinical trials showed that Tripterygium wilfordii polyglycoside tablets significantly reduced urinary protein, delayed the growth of total renal volume and decreased glomerular filtration rate in patients with ADPKD with massive proteinuria. Tripterygium wilfordii polyglycoside tablets are not recommended for patients without proteinuria and those with renal failure.
7. Rational application of Tolvaptan
After mutation of PKD1/PKD2 gene, adenylate cyclase (AC) was over-activated for many reasons, and the accumulation of intracellular cAMP increased significantly, which promoted the formation of cysts. Tolvaptan can inhibit AC activation, reduce the production and aggregation of cAMP, significantly inhibit the growth of cysts and delay the deterioration of renal function. Clinical trials have found that Tolvaptan can significantly reduce the volume growth rate of kidney and delay the deterioration of renal function in polycystic kidney disease, especially in patients with fast growth of renal cysts and acceptable renal function. It has been approved by FDA of Japan, EU and Canada, but it is expensive and requires long-term medication.
8. Symptomatic treatment
(1) PKD is often complicated with hematuria, because hematuria is often self-limited, and generally does not need special treatment. With continuous bleeding, you should reduce physical activity and drink more water. Patients with massive hemorrhage (marked naked hematuria, even hemoglobin decline), can be treated by interventional or surgical treatment.
(2) Pain can be treated with analgesics. If pain persists, infection, stones or tumors should be considered. Percutaneous aspiration of cyst fluid may be considered if cyst enlargement causes obvious pain (cyst aspiration is not generally advocated).
(3) Patients with infection should be treated with adequate antibiotics that can penetrate the cyst wall. Levofloxacin and other fluoroquinolone antibiotics are preferred.
How to treat PKD? Hope the above measures are helpful for you. For more information on PKD treatment, please leave a message below or contact online doctor.
***Please seek professional medical advise for the diagnosis or treatment of any ailment, disease or medical condition. This article is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a licensed medical professional.***